Planning Permit Requirements for High rise, Public Buildings and for Physically Challenged Persons
Gone are the days when considerations were not given to High rise, Public Buildings and Physically challenged persons when designing, the Planning Permit regulations 2019 emphasized that:
(1) In all high rise and public buildings every element shall conform with the Fire Safety Regulations
(2) The minimum width of escape doors in a high rise building shall be as follows:
(a) 1 to 5 floors ———– 0.9 metres;
(b) 6 to 8 floors ———– 1.20 metres; and
(c) above 8 floors———-1.50 metres.
(3) Underground water storage of not less than twenty thousand litres shall be provided in structures above four (4) floors.
(4) All buildings shall have fire prevention, detection and alarm devices acceptable to the State Fire Service.
(5) A high-rise or public building shall be certified by a registered Engineer in respect of its mechanical and electrical plans.
(6) Any application for Planning Permit for any building above four (4) floors shall be provided with a lift or elevator.
(7) The grant of Planning Permit to all other buildings with respect to protection from fire hazard shall be in accordance with the provisions in the Regulation.
(8) Every public or commercial building shall provide adequate toilet facilities for the use of the public.
(9) Every public and commercial building shall make adequate provision for access (ramp), safety and toilet facilities for physically challenged persons.
(10) All high rise buildings shall have lightning protection, earthing and bonding.