Demolition of buildings in Lagos State- reasons why your building could be demolished.
Building demolition by the government or by an individual is another important aspect of development control that requires public enlightment. Public always frowned at the government when implementing this aspect of the Lagos State Urban and Regional Planning and Development Law 2010 that deals with building removals. The Law requires individuals willing to demolish an existing structure to apply and
- Identification of the properties to
- Survey Description and Service of Acquisition Notice (if the property is to
be completely ); acquired
- Publication in the widely read newspaper and official Gazetting;
- Holding meetings with the concerned stakeholders for sensitisation;
aluation of the existing structures to be removedtowards adequate compensation;
- Compensation and Relocation Plans;
- Service of all statutory notices and marking to determine the extent of encroachment with photographs.
- The actual removal of the identified structures.
Below are some reasons government could demolish your building:
- Lack of Planning Permit
- Nonconformity with planning regulations and standards;
- Buildings within the Right of Way (ROW) of the proposed project, such as High Tension line, Gorges,
- Buildings within Government Acquisition
- Buildings blocking an existing road;
- Distressed buildings susceptible to collapse (not safe for human habitation)
- Buildings constructed with poor materials and not supervised by qualified professionals;
- Buildings that failed the Non-Destructive Integrity Test;
- Dilapidated and Abandoned buildings.
- Buildings that are not environmentally friendly in terms of their usage and location, such as gas stations, shopping complexes.
- Court Order.
Please like and share